Hola Aboders! I got my Kimmy Gibbler impersonation going strong today after having quite the constructive weekend. I can’t wait to share everything we’ve been up to.
First I want to start with another round of house touring, this time I am featuring our kitchen. Thanks to the previous owners, we haven’t had to do much work here. The cabinets were painted white with black granite countertops. I just had to simply add some personal touches.
But while my work seemed that simple, I have done some rearranging to have a more functional and pleasing to the eye space. If you remember, we used to house the appliances in the corner. That just wasn’t working out for us. So I moved things around for a much simpler look.
And here is proof that you can make something chic out of anything. If you’re a parent, you probably recognize the name on the crate. Yes, I stole a toy from my child to use as kitchen decorations. Melissa & Doug are both fun and functional.
A couple of items on the ol’ to-do list include:
- new backsplash – I have never been a fan of the bead board, it’s also a pain to keep clean. It’s not easy to wipe down like a glass backsplash may be.
- freshin up the cabinets with a new coat of paint – The downside of white cabinets are that they show stain overtime. Especially around the stove area. It’s just a maintenance step required with white cabinets.
- a statement range hood. Something to give this kitchen a pow factor.
- accent lighting above our island. It’s probably the darkest space in the whole area. Something fun and creative could really give this room some personality
- replace the ol’ boob light.
Once this round of updates are complete, I need to tackle what to do with the empty space above the cabinets. Decorations? Build the cabinets up? Fun lighting?