A couple of days ago I whipped up a mood board for a friend who is getting ready to paint her living room. This was definitely a fun little project imagining it up from scratch. All of the pieces I included could be fun DIY projects that could take any room from drab to FAB! Listed below are where the pieces I’ve pictured actually came from, and below that I will explain how you can create this yourself at home on a budget.
Glass table lamp
White home decor
Beaded throw pillow
$12 – direct.asda.com
Yellow toss pillow
$91 – amara.com
So how can you DIY it?
1. A cream base paint and Fire Red Accent Wall Ok, this is one of my favorite looks. For those who know me, my former house had this in the living room. For about $40 you can recreate this in your room. Right now Sherwin Williams has some awesome coupons if you sign up online.
2. Cream Couch Who doesn’t love this classic look. It can easily be yours for around $40. How you say, by simply buying a slip cover to go over your already existing couch. I found several at overstock.com plus they are currently running a 10% promo…who doesn’t love money back in your pocket.
3. Navy Accent Chair Its all about the accents that bring this room to life. This chair can be recreated several ways. You can always add a slip cover over an exsisting chair, or I’ve seen a ton of classic wing-backed chairs at local flee-markets on the cheap if your willing to try reupholstery (which is on my to-do list.)
4. Pallet Coffee Table My favorite piece here (which I plan on diy-ing myself soon) is the pallet coffee table. Find a local buisiness who is willing to give or sale on the cheap a large pallet, sand it down and either stain it or paint it, add the wheels that can be found at any local hardware store, and ta-da you have a coffee table. I could see this project being $25-30 tops.
5. Accents Again, this is all about the accents. And who doesn’t need accent pillows. You can easily find these for mear pocket change at a local thrift store or even Walmart or Target.
6. Lamps Every room, in my opinion, needs a lamp. The more light in a room the better. One thing no one wants (unless your hibernating for the winter) is a dark room. This lamp again can easily be done at home if you don’t want to spend $200. Search those swap shops and thrift stores for any kind of lamp. A can of white spray paint for the base and a cool fabric applied to the shade and you have yourself a new lamp!
7. Art I love the blue art in this board. Have fun with it. Have your kids splash a canvise with blue paint. Find some greenery outside and dip in paint. Let your imagination run wild. If you don’t want to get messy, find a cool swatch of fabric and frame it.
If you ever feel like redoing a room, don’t let the price tags from the beautiful rooms in the magazines fool you. Do some research, get creative. There are a ton of ways to redo any room on any budget. Don’t be afraid to try it.